Thanks to the Defence Academy at Shrivenham for inviting me to lecture to senior military officers, MoD staff, and others. What an engaging, interesting, tough minded and experienced audience. I was especially delighted with the feedback, which I reproduce below. Most importantly, from my point of view, the audience understood why PowerPoint and similar lectures can be a turn off. I just talked about leaders and leadership and answered questions to the best of my ability. Here's a flavour of the responses.
- “he showed that PowerPoint is unnecessary when you are a gifted orator. I did not lose interest once.”
- “Gavin demonstrated the value of distilling issues and keeping it simple – ‘less is more’. Brilliant.”
- “First class session. Someone able to draw on his experience to offer insights relevant to our own challenges. Excellent and entertaining presentation, and handled a large number of questions professionally and with good humour.”
- “engaging, articulate, personable and a raft of stories to tell, you could not go wrong! Some real nuggets to take back to base and reflect upon.”
- “I attended seeking some thought on how to deal with negative reputational issues suffered by the team I am working with. This talk has given me some thought on how I might deal with achieving a change in how the team is viewed.”
- “what an excellent and inspiring speaker! By setting the ‘story’ message in the context of people we know I now appreciate the importance of my own story. "
Thanks to all those involved in the organisation of the event.Monday, 13 April 2015